21st Annual Family and Trial Law Convocation on Professionalism
Recorded March 26, 2014
- Family Law Section, State Bar of Georgia
- General Practice and Trial Law Section, State Bar of Georgia
- John C. Mayoue, Program Chair, Mayoue Gray Eittreim, P.C., Atlanta
- Avarita L. Hanson, Executive Director, Chief Justice’s Commission on Professionalism, Atlanta
- Hon. Tangela Barrie, Judge, Superior Court, Stone Mountain Judicial Circuit, Decatur
- Hon. Doris L. Downs, Judge, Superior Court, Atlanta Judicial Circuit, Atlanta Hon.
- Juanita P. Stedman, Judge, Juvenile Court, Cobb Judicial Circuit, Marietta
- Daniele Johnson, Daniele Johnson & Associates, Atlanta
- James J. McGinnis, Warner, Bates, McGough, McGinnis & Portnoy, P.C., Atlanta
- Kice H. Stone, Stone & Driggers, LLC, Macon
INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW: STATE BAR OF GEORGIA HANDBOOK, PART IV (GEORGIA RULES OF PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT: PAGE H-27, ET SEG.)
John C. Mayoue
ADVERTISING IN THE SOCIAL MEDIA AGE
- Reverse auctioning for legal services
- Limits to advertising on Groupon or Living Social
- Did this Super Bowl commercial go too far?
SCOPE OF ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE
- Are intra-firm communications privileged from the client? - St. Simons Waterfront LLC v. Hunter Maclean, 293 Ga. 419 (2013)
- Speaking with an unlicensed attorney – is a client’s reasonable belief enough to protect communications?
ADVISING CLIENT CONDUCT
- Reading emails—when does confidentiality trump misconduct?
- Mitigating the adverse effects of Facebook
- Speaking through the client—what advice can a lawyer give to the client on speaking directly with the adversary?
IS THERE A DUTY TO ALERT OPPOSING COUNSEL OF MISTAKES MADE IN SETTLEMENT PROPOSALS?
HOW TO PROTECT CLIENtS FROM THEIR OWN DEPOSITION
- Did Paula Deen’s attorneys drop the ball?
- Foot-tapping, coughing, objections and other cues
- When to take a break